School Board Members
Agendas and Minutes
School Board Policies
School Board Election Information
Serving on a school board is a challenging job that requires leadership, vision, and dedication. A school board member is entrusted with one of the most important responsibilities that can be assigned to a citizen: ensuring that Iowa schools help students reach high levels of educational achievement. Serving on a school board is a crucial aspect of grassroots democracy. The school board is a uniquely American institution that represents a continuing commitment to local citizen decision-making in education.
Experienced board members all across Iowa say that the rewards of service lie in meeting the needs of children and their communities. The local school board serves as a vital link between the community and the classroom – making policy, setting budgets, and providing leadership and advocacy for public education.
As “governors” of the school district, school board members perform critical functions in four major areas:
- Vision – The board focuses the work of the district and community on student achievement through a comprehensive strategic planning process.
- Structure – The board governs the district through prudent financial planning and oversight, and diligent and innovative policymaking.
- Accountability – The board infuses all programs and crucial policies with specific goals and a process for evaluation, reporting, and recommendations for improvements.
- Advocacy – The board champions public education in the local community and before state and federal policymakers.
Effective school board members have a sincere interest in public education and are committed to ensuring a quality education for the children in their communities. They are respected and involved in their communities and bring with them a broad base of knowledge and experience. And, they are willing to spend long hours working as a team with other board members to benefit the school district and the community. Each community is rich in potential candidates who would make a positive difference in public education.
Still have questions? Check out our School Board section on our FAQ page!
2021 Election Information
Important Dates to Remember:
- August 23, 2021: Candidate Filing Begins
- September 16, 2021 5 p.m: Candidate Filing Deadline
- September 21, 2021 5 p.m: Candidate Withdrawal and Objection Deadline
- November 2, 2021: School Board Election Day
Candidates Filing Location:
Alburnett CSD District Office (2nd Floor) 131 Roosevelt Street Alburnett, IA 52202
Offices Open for 2021 Election:
(2) Director, At-Large, 4-year term
Nomination petitions and Affidavits of Candidacy are available from the School Board Secretary’s Office, the Linn County Auditor’s Office and/or Iowa Secretary of State’s Office. The number of signatures required on the nomination petition for the Alburnett Community School District is 26. Please note: the Affidavit of Candidacy and Nomination Petitions must be filed together or they will be rejected.
Please contact the Board Secretary, Harley McBurney at (319) 842-2266 or email@example.com for additional school board election information.