Parents considering the use of the open enrollment option to enroll their child(ren) in another public school district in Iowa should be aware of the following dates:
- March 1, 2021 - LAST DAY for regular open enrollment requests for the 2021-2022 school year.
- September 1, 2021 - LAST DAY for open enrollment requests for students entering kindergarten.
Parents of open enrolled students whose income falls below 160 percent of the federal poverty guidelines are eligible for transportation assistance. This may be in the form of actual transportation or in the form of a cash stipend.
Parents should be aware that open enrollment may result in the loss of athletic eligibility.
The Open Enrollment Form and Handbook are available below or on the Iowa Department of Education website.
Please contact the District Office with any questions: (319) 842-2266.
To request a tour of our campus, please fill out the Request a Tour form!
There's never been a better time to be a Pirate!
Alburnett is bold and our students are bright. But why?
It goes beyond the usual “big school or small school” debate. Our tradition is grounded in Midwestern community, but invention is at the core of our academic philosophy. When we talk about the Purple Difference, we’re ultimately talking about opportunity – the opportunity to discover areas of interest and then the ability to develop skills in those areas.
At Alburnett, we recognize that it takes passion to unlock the potential within each student and our educators are dedicated to their classrooms. 40% of our teachers already have Master’s degrees, while all academic staff contribute to our culture of learning through ongoing professional development.
Our fluid curriculum also encourages exploration and educators help students channel their passions through practical learning opportunities. That pioneering spirit is instilled at every level – from administrators to teachers to our service dog, Jessie – so that students are inspired to do the same.
Education should be exciting, and Alburnett leads by example.
The Purple Difference:
- Project Lead The Way (K-12) develops critical thinking, problem solving and technical skills in students of all ages through real-world challenges in computer science, engineering and biomedical science.
- Technology Integration allows teachers to create dynamic learning environments and provides students with the ever-evolving resources they need to stay ahead of the curve.
- Advanced Placement and Concurrent Education courses for college credit not only give students the competitive edge they need during the application process, but also put students at an advantage when they arrive on campus.
- Comprehensive Sports and Fine Arts Programs encourage students to participate in multiple extracurricular activities.
WHAT THEY'RE SAYING
"We came to Alburnett for preschool then open enrolled to another school for AK. We were very excited to be back in the district for Kindergarten."
- Amy Winterhof
"...After listing the pros and cons of each school, we chose Alburnett."
"Alburnett has become our home and we could not imagine being anywhere else."
- Alburnett Parent